Introducing Community Link!
A new and easy way to get free, low barrier, and confidential access to HIV self-test kits at the AIDS Coalition of Nova Scotia (ACNS)!
ACNS is excited to be part of Community Link, the latest HIV self-testing project providing free HIV self-test kits to anyone in Nova Scotia and connecting them to the care they need.
We’re providing pickup and mailout options to make sure we get kits in the hands of everyone who needs them. When you’re ready to explore this exciting testing option, we’ll be right there with you!
What’s an HIV Self-Test?
The HIV self-test is fairly new in Canada, so it’s possible that you’ve never heard of it before now. We’re here to provide you with information to help you decide if this is right for you.
An HIV self-test is a test you do on your own that looks for HIV antibodies within minutes. The self-test needs 2-4 small drops of blood from pricking the top of your finger with a small needle. The self-test is not a confirmatory test. What this means is that it can’t fully confirm your positive or negative result. However, the self-test is 99% accurate in reading results!
The self-test is meant to be included as part of your regular HIV/STI testing, especially if there are long wait times to get an appointment, and empower more people to know their HIV status.
If you’d prefer to see a quick demonstration on how the self-test works before getting yours, please check out this video: https://youtu.be/1G1ia1S7uZo
Get Your Kits from ACNS!
We think it’s great that you’re taking steps to take care of your health. We’re happy to provide a variety of options for you to get your free HIV self-test kits. You’re not alone. We’re here to support you every step of the way.
- We’re located at 5516 Spring Garden Road, Suites 200 or 203, in Halifax (Sport Nova Scotia building).
- Let us know if you’d prefer to self-test on site. Our staff are trained to provide support, guidance and information before, during and after the self-testing process. We’re knowledgeable, happy to answer questions you might have, and most importantly, we care!
- Mailout: Please complete a quick and easy online mailout order form and we’ll gladly send 2 kits, along with a pre- and post-test information package so you’re supported, to you at no cost. We encourage people to still reach out to us if they need support, even if they’ve opted to go with the mailout option. You can complete the online mailout order form here: https://forms.gle/f1yCtQ5SXQkN5VFd7
- Outreach: You might find us set up out in the community from time to time with a supply of kits to distribute. Follow our socials to find out where we might pop up!
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/acnshfx/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AIDSNS/
Info & Resources
Before testing, you can review the following:
After testing, you can review the following: